From hardware to software, from early-stage startups to a global technology colossus, Kitsap’s tech footprint is growing.
Tech looks a little different in Kitsap than it does across the rest of Puget Sound. Much of our technology focus is Defense-related, whether you’re talking about the homegrown local tech companies that now operate across the nation, or the global firms who work to deploy cutting-edge Defense tech alongside the Navy like underwater drones. A data point worth considering: Kitsap’s Bremerton-Silverdale metro area has the second-highest level of patent generation in the United States.
Some examples of the tech presence in Kitsap:
- Applied Technical Systems – Research and Development provider for Defense applications and builder of specialized software for government agencies.
- Critical Insight – Cybersecurity firm that deploys its solutions nationwide to minimize threats and improve digital resilience.
- Dude Solutions –A strong Kitsap presence from this SAAS provider of operations management solutions to education, government, healthcare and other institutions.
- HelpDesk Cavalry –Puget Sound IT service provider offering a variety of workforce, collaboration, security and support solutions.
- Microsoft – The local presence is connected to Microsoft Research Special Projects, with focus areas including big data and social resilience.
- Symphony Industrial – One of the world’s leading controls companies for applications such as oil and gas development and other industries has a Kitsap office.
- Taqtile – Augmented reality platform specialist that builds solutions for deskless workers.
- Velosys –Data visualization and geographical Information Systems specialist with a sister company (AlphaLedger) that makes municipal bond transactions more efficient via blockchain.
Olympic College offers a Bachelors of Applied Science in Information Systems. They also offer courses and Associate Degrees in specialized areas such as technology security, networking, software development, IT support and interactive web design.
Western Washington University’s Poulsbo campus offers a program that awards a Bachelor’s of Science in Cybersecurity in conjunction with community colleges. The Cyber Range Poulsbo at the WWU Center at Olympic College Poulsbo serves as an educational resource for the state of Washington. Cyber Range Poulsbo is one of only nine educational ranges in the nation and supports students in cybersecurity programs throughout the state.
The West Sound STEM Network is dedicated to engaging students from early-learning to K-12 and beyond in education that will bolster their technology acumen.